low-hung carriage with back entrance

Phrontistery dictionary. 2013.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Herdic — Her dic, n. [Named from Peter Herdic, the inventor.] A kind of low hung cab …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • herdic — ☆ herdic [hʉr′dik ] n. [after P. Herdic (1824 88), U.S. inventor] a low hung public carriage of the late 19th cent., with a back entrance and seats along the sides …   English World dictionary

  • Herdic — A herdic is a type of horse drawn carriage, used as an omnibus, invented by Peter Herdic of Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania in 1881.A predecessor of the taxicab, the herdic was a small two wheeled carriage that had side seats and an… …   Wikipedia

  • herdic — ˈhərdik noun ( s) Etymology: after Peter Herdic died 1888 American inventor : a small horse drawn omnibus of late 19th century America having side seats and an entrance at the back a herdic load of boys from some dance in town C.M.Flandrau …   Useful english dictionary

  • herdic — /herr dik/, n. a low hung carriage with two or four wheels, having the entrance at the back and the seats at the sides. [1880 85, Amer.; named after P. Herdic, 19th century American, the inventor] * * * …   Universalium

  • herdic — adj. two or four wheeled carriage with the entrance in the back and the seats on the sides …   English contemporary dictionary

  • herdic — her·dic …   English syllables

  • Herdic Phaeton Company — The Herdic Phaeton Company was a late 19th Century horse drawn stagecoach company in Washington, D.C. It started operations in December 1879, taking over for a horse drawn chariot company that had operated unsuccessfully for three years. The… …   Wikipedia

  • Peter Herdic — Infobox Person name = Peter Herdic image size = 175px caption = birth date = December 14, 1824 birth place = Fort Plain, New York death date = February 2, 1888 death place = Huntingdon, Pennsylvania occupation = philanthropist, lumber baron,… …   Wikipedia

  • History of Williamsport, Pennsylvania — Williamsport was incorporated as a borough on March 1, 1806, and as a city on January 15, 1866. The city is the original home of Little League Baseball, founded in 1939 as a three team league. In the late 1800s, when Williamsport was known as The …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.